Posts Tagged ‘vegan’
Some of the best Easter treats are also Vegan! For so many years, if you chose to be Vegan it meant “going without” certain things and traditions…. but now… almost everything has a vegan version!!! (not to be confused with “healthy” but most certainly “yummy”)
Some of my favorites:
- Premium chocolate:
offers a wide variety of Easter treats that you can’t live without.
Like the vegan version of Cadbury cream eggs:
Chocolate (and white chocolate- I know vegan white chocolate!) bunny pops !!!
Offers some delicious solid bunnies –
and while there you should also order Chocolate Brownie Cookie Sandwich with Vanilla Filling just because they are awesome!
is always a great place to stalk up on vegan treats:
Vegan “peeps” & Vegan chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies – straight from your childhood!!
- Sjaak’s :
always has some yummy vegan treats.. and special ones for Easter
like the pb crunch egg:
Caramel filled chocolate eggs:
And some solid chocolate eggs
- Rose City Chocolatier
If you like hazelnut truffles (or pb filled easter eggs)… these are the perfect ones for you!
- The Natural Candy Store: http://www.naturalcandystore.com/category/vegan-candy
Offers a variety of chocolate and other candy Easter treats.
1/4 C peanut butter
1 Tbs braggs or soy sauce
1 Tbs Vegetable oil (I used extra light olive)
1 Tbs rice vinegar
2 Tbs coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
pinch of ginger powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
Mix ingredients together and slowly add hot water until it is the consistency that you want for dressing.
This is amazing over salad or pasta, couscous, rice… the possibilities are endless!
Sweet Potato Casserole
4 Cup Sweet potatoes, cubed
½ Cup sugar (I used coconut sugar)
2 egg replacer (3 tsp energy & 2 Tbs water)
½ tsp salt
4 Tbs earth balance butter
½ cup non-dairy milk (soy, rice, almond etc.)
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ Cup brown or coconut sugar
1/3 Cup flour
3 Tbs earth balance, soften
½ Cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 325. Boil sweet potatoes in water until soft. Drain and mash with the rest of the ingredients (except topping). Put in baking dish, top with “topping” mix. Bake for 30 mins.
Homemade Lentil Soup
1 onion, chopped
2-3 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 bay leaf
1 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes
2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
8 cups of water (or 4 C water & 4 C veggie broth)
Fresh (or frozen) spinach
Salt & pepper to taste
Elbow pasta (1/2 box)
– In a large pot, heat olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, garlic oregano and basil – cook until onions begin to soften.
– Add lentils, bay leaf, water and tomatoes
– Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer for 1+ hours
– After 40 mins – boil water and cook pasta
– Add spinach salt & pepper and cooked pasta to soup.
Quinoa – (cook 1-24 hrs prior)
1 C Quinoa, rinsed
1 C pinaplle juice
1 C water
½ tsp braggs amino acids or soy sauce
– Combine Quinoa, juice, water and braggs in pot. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce to medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes (until all liquid is absorbed)
– Fluff with fork and refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
3 Tbs oil (peanut, olive or veggie)
2 cloves garlic
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 red pepper, diced
1 cup frozen edamame (or peas)
1/2- 1 C carrots, shredded
3 Tbs Braggs or soy sauce
3 Tbs Vegetable broth
½ C cashews
½ C fresh basil
2 Tbs fresh mint
1+ C fresh pineapple (chunks) or 10 oz can
Lime wedges for garnish (optional)
– Add stir-fry ingredients to a large pan, cook for about 5 minutes until edamame is no longer frozen and pepper is soft
– Add Quinoa and topping ingredients. Cook for another 10 minutes – stirring together and keeping quinoa from sticking to the bottom.
Strawberry Oatmeal Squares
1 ½ C Flour
1 ½ C Oats (quick cooking)
2/3 C Sugar
½ tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
¾ C vegan Margarine melted
1 vegan egg replacer
2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 14oz jar Strawberry preserves (or any other fruit you’d like!)
½ Coconut flaked
– Mix all dry ingredients (except coconut) together in large bowl (bowl 1)
– Add margarine & vanilla, stir
– set aside 1 ½ – 2 Cups (into bowl 2)
– Add egg replacer to bowl 1
– press mixture from bowl into baking pan
– spread preserves over crust
– Add coconut to mixture that you set aside (bowl 2)
– sprinkle over preserves
– Bake at 350 for 40 mins
Thai cashew stir-fry – better than take-out!
3 Tbs vegtable oil
1 Package extra firm tofu, cubed
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbs fresh ginger, minced
2 Tbs thai Chili sauce
9 Tbs Braggs amino acid (or soy sauce)
3 Tbs brown sugar
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 green pepper, cut into strips
5 scallions or 1 onion
½ Cup cashews
Optional: fresh basil
– In a small bowl, mix together: Braggs, brown sugar and chili sauce
– Heat part of the oil in non stick frying pan. Pan fry cubed tofu until crispy
– Heat the rest of the oil in a large skillet or wok.
– Add garlic & ginger and cook for a minute or two
– Add vegetables and stir fry for just a couple of minutes
– Add Braggs mixture to vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes or until peppers are softened
– Add Tofu, cashews, pineapple & basil and mix.
– Serve over rice.
Most Thai food restaurants use fish oil and/or fish broth in their stir-frys. This recipe is VEGAN and just as tasty!
1 Box Pasta
Fresh Green beans
1 large red pepper
1 medium onion
1 can Chick peas, rinsed & drained
2 cloves garlic
salt, pepper, dried basil, sugar to taste
– While water is boiling, cut up all veggies and saute over med-low heat in olive oil and seasonings (add chickpeas once veggies are cooked)
– Cook pasta as directed, drain and dress with olive oil and some additional salt & pepper
– Top pasta with veggies